Monday, May 10, 2010

Body Modification

The question is...Body Modification: Modification or Mutilation?

So I watched a documentary called "Modify". I was horrified and yet couldn't take my eyes off the freakin screan. The things people will do to their bodies, whether it be for attention, pleasure, satisfaction or what I'm not sure. All of it was amazing. It really makes you think about the spectrum of modification and how large it really is. As a society we only like to think of it as a small hair color, spring break tattoo, I want bigger boobs sort of thing, when in reality it goes way beyond that. When you think of people hanging from hooks that are pierced through their skin, surgical scaring, penis and hood piercings, it open a whole new chapter. Sure I am guilty of modifying my looks by adding some glitz to my glamour, adding highlights to my hair...hell I even have a few tats. All of which I have recieved because I like it and it makes me feel better about myself or I think it looks pretty. But when a person goes as far as to change themselves into a "stalking cat" it makes me wonder why? What posseses a person to hate themselves that much that they would get rid of any reminder of how they looked when they were "normal". This doesn't go towards only that extreme, but to others as well. Body builders that look like The Incredible Hulk, women who have so much plastic surgery their own mother wouldn't recognize them, and to the men who want to be women and the women who want to be men. Don't get me wrong, I'm down for some wash board abs, and if a woman wants a bigger set of boobs then great, but really? How far is too far? When does it stop? I know the whole "it's my body" argument but when it starts effecting everyday life, should there be a line? I don't think it should be a matter of government, but I do think that some lines have been crossed!!! And please do say it's not for the attention!! When I get my hair done, I want people to notice and tell me it looks nice, and when I take the extra 10 minutes to "put some glitz in my glamour" I like the "wow" look on peoples faces. And please don't get offended when people stare at you like you're a walking freak show. If you don't want the negative feedback then don't do it, or stay inside. It is very hard for people to look past what you look like on the outside to see the inside. If you look like a monster with devil horns included people are going to stare and come to conclusions that may or may not be true. I'm sure you are a wonderful person on the inside but when nobody wants to get close to your outside, it makes you stop and wonder!

No comments:

Post a Comment