Friday, May 28, 2010

Work!!

Working for The Happiest Place On Earth is Amazing!!

Yesterday I walk into COMPLETE madness! Turns out the ENITRE point of sale system is down and they aren't sure when it is comming back up! Hand ringing items like you back in the 40's is not my idea of a good time, especially when you only have 2 registers to do it on and a line that goes for miles with a lot of very not happy people who "didn't pay 100 a pop to have to wait in these kind of lines". Well sir...yes you did!!! It's Disneyland...it happens and I'm sorry but there is nothing I can do at the moment...so sit down, shut up and enjoy what 100 bucks can get ya!

Yes we have days were we as cast members don't want to smile and make dreams come true...grumpy people who have no compasion DO NOT make this any better. Being yelled at for things that are out of your control DO NOT help. I understand you paid a lot of money for you and your family to get in, I understand that it is hot outside, I understand that you've been waiting a long time, AND I understand you have a reservation, but what would you like me to do???? REALLY??? I can't fix the problem I can only try and find solutions to make them easier to deal with.

On the other hand...I have days like I did today. Days that make me love my job and help me remeber one of the reasons I chose to work for Disney and why I chose to become a lead there.

Today I met some of the most amazing people. I met a family in Indiana Outpost who were so sweet! We talked for about 30 minutes about tats!! How amazing is that!!! They were funny and kind and I just loved them....AND if momma is reading this....GET THE TATTOO!!!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

Then I met a women named Amy! I saw her come in being pushed in a wheelchair, face swollen, tired and the tell tale sign...a bandana on her head! CANCER! The word I hate more than any cuss word out there. It is a ruiner of lives and the ultimate homewrecker!! I asked her how she was doing and if I could help her and her friend find something, and they asked about some pins we offer. I felt an overwhelming need to ask her about her condition. I asked if she was here celebrating because of remission...she said no. I said, well I'm sure it will come soon...she said it wont. The doctors only gave me 3 months and that was in april!!! My heart was instantly sad. Tears came even tho I didn't want to cry in front of her and make it harder. I know how my mom felt when people who didn't know her cried about HER illness. Like she had to be strong for them not the other way around. But of course the tears came. AND then I asked her if I could give her a hug. She looked like she was defeated and needed one that didn't come from a loved one. One that showed her people cared. She said of course! I gave her the biggest longest hug I could without it being sexual harrasment!!

Her name is Amy...she has six children ages 7-18. She is a beautiful women, with a lot of strength...she need our prayers! Her children need our prayers most of all. Dying is the easy part! It's the people that have to stay behind that it's hard for.

Another lady asked me when Amy had left how I got over my moms death because she would be afraid for her kids...I told her "you don't get over it...EVER. You learn to live with it"

She left with a smile and a handfull of celebration pins...because they are celebrating her!!!!

It's those moments that put yesterday away and make my job so AMAZING!!! Thank you to those guests for today! You are amazing and I am truly blessed to have met you!

Amy...you are in my thoughts and prayers always!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing about your experience meeting Amy! She touches lives everywhere she goes. :)
    ~Valerie (sister-in-law)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Gary, I am Amy's Husband. I am so glad you were touched by my wifes story. She truly is an amazing woman who has touched so many lives in so many ways. She has always lived her life to serve others ans that is what Jesus would have us do. You would not believe how many people tell me how much she has affected them in their lives. If you are interested you may request me as a friend and them follow Amy's progress and story on there. Check out the Amy Reed Jackson Fan Club. You are also welcome to request me as a friend and follow my daily updates. Just send me a message explaining who you are and I will gladly confirm you as a friend.

    Thanks for your interest in Amy's Story and thank you so much for your prayer.
    Love Gary Jackson

    ReplyDelete